Decadent Chocolate Waffles: Easy Breakfast Recipe
Chocolate is my weakness. Knowing that chocolate is healthy, I can’t help but indulge myself in chocolates and chocolate coated foods. One of my favorites is chocolate waffles. On a sunday morning, recently, I decided to try out my newly purchased Belgian waffle maker to make chocolate waffles. The nearly 1” thick, unwithered eggless waffles turned out just perfect and fabulous. I added some fresh sliced organic strawberries for a hearty flavors and smothered it with vanilla bean maple syrup. The crunchy and chocolaty outer surface with velvety interior produced an yummy waffle experience.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Serves 4-5 people
- All purpose flour or whole wheat flour - 2 cups
- Milk or vegan milk - 1 cup
- Cocoa powder, unsweetened - 3 tbsp
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Powdered sugar - ½ cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Buttermilk ( optional ) - 2 cups. Buttermilk brings moisture to the batter
- Olive oil - ½ cup. Mild flavoured olive oil would be best
- Bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped - 6 oz
Nonstick vegetable oil spray.
Alternatively, you may use premix for eggless dark chocolate waffles which is a readymade blend of main ingredients. Add flour, sugar and milk as per the instruction given on the label.
- Preheat the iron and spray some vegetable oil to make it non-stick
- Take a large bowl and pour the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into it and whisk the mix thoroughly
- Make a hole in the middle of the heap and add the milk, buttermilk, oil, and the vanilla extract to it. Again, whisk the dry and wet components well until the batter is semi-liquid and flowing( slightly lumpy batter is ideal ). Add the chocolate slices and mix well in the batter
- Scoop batter into the iron to fill the cavities and level off evenly. Cook it well at high temperature until the outer skin becomes crispy. Use remaining batter to make more waffles
- Cover loosely with foil to keep them warm before serving with toppings of butter and maple syrup